Clear Acrylic Adhesive S1220 is a low-viscosity, two-component, transparent, structural methacrylate adhesive for the high-strength bonding of plastics and composites.
Clear Acrylic Adhesive S1220 combines shock resistance with a high tensile shear strength through an innovative liquid plastic resin. Once bonded, this fusion of chemistries achieves an extra high strength UV stable bond with excellent chemical and environmental resistance.
Typically used for
Clear Acrylic Adhesive S1220 is a very versatile product which will bond a wide variety of industrial plastics without the need of primers or surface treatment.
Some typical examples of what this adhesive is good at bonding and for use on:
- Acrylic letters in the sign industry
- Clear or coloured acrylic (Perspex) in the Point of Sale Display industry
- Hard strength plastics and composite applications
- Bonding polycarbonate letters in the sign industry
- Repairing polycarbonate headlights
- Bonding outdoor lighting lenses and fixtures
- Assembling electric meter houses and covers
One mixer nozzle is provided with each 25ml cartridge. If you are using two or more cartridges, the mixer nozzle can be taken off the used cartridge and fitted to the new one to avoid loss of product in the nozzle. Extra mixer nozzles XM1000 can be found in the Dispensers section. Please note when doing this that the nozzles only fit onto the cartridge when twisted in one direction. This is because it is a two part adhesive and it prevents crossover of the adhesive and activator which would block the nozzle.
Shock resistance & toughness
This structural adhesive combines shock resistance and toughness from a unique blend of hybrid rubbers, with a high tensile shear strength from an innovative liquid plastic resin.
High strength bond with high environmental resistance
Once bonded, this fusion of chemistries achieves an ultra high strength UV stable bond with excellent chemical and environmental resistance.
Typical performance of uncured adhesive
|Handling strength||6-10 mins @ 20°C|
|Viscosity Brookfield T Bar||6000 CPS|
|Work time||3 mins @ 20°C|
Performance of cured material
|ASTM D1002 Lapshear||Acrylic Plastic 8.2 Nmm2*|
|ASTM D1002 Lapshear||Polycarbonate 12.5 Nmm2*|
|-55°C to 125°C*||0.95 (approx)|
* Total Substrate failure
Directions for use
- For optimum performance surfaces should be clean and free of grease.
- Remove cap, and attach mixer nozzle.
- Dispense sufficient adhesive to ensure equal mix.
- Apply adhesive to one surface and assemble components carefully, clamping if required.
- It is always easier to remove any excess adhesive prior to cure.
- Allow the adhesive sufficient time to achieve handling strength before moving or unclamping components.
- Once product has fully cured, polish any adhesive outside of the bondline with a soft cloth to achieve a deep shine.
Packing and storage information
S1220 should be stored unopened in a cool dry location, out of direct sunlight, and stored correctly. This grade can offer a 6 month shelf life from manufacture.
- One 25ml cartridge will bond approximately 1.5m in length.
- One mixer nozzle is provided with each 25ml cartridge.
- If you are using two or more cartridges, the mixer nozzle can be taken off the used cartridge and fitted to the new one to avoid loss of product in the nozzle.
- Extra mixer nozzles can be ordered in the Dispensers section.
- This adhesive is activated by heat so storage of the cartridge is important. We recommend that in Summer the cartridges are kept in the fridge and that repairs are undertaken in the cool of the morning or evening. In Winter it can be stored in a cool, dark location.
- Due to the dependence of this adhesive to be kept cool, in Summer any orders placed on a Friday will not be shipped until the Monday. This prevents the adhesive from sitting in the couriers uncontrolled warehouse for an extended period of time.
Not sure if this Structural adhesive is right for your requirements?
If you are not sure if this adhesive is correct for your requirements please contact us to discuss your requirements and we can point you in the right direction.